Publish Date: 
Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 11:15am

Cleanup will continue for several days following a train derailment in Pendleton County.

A train derailment in Pendleton County led to the closure of all roads into Falmouth on Wednesday morning.

It happened around 10:30 a.m. near Woodson Street in Falmouth.

Authorities said 24 cars of a 125-car CSX train en route to Atlanta derailed, including four hazardous-materials cars containing sulfuric acid.

There were no hazardous materials released, CSX said.

Aerial video showed firefighters and workers examining several rail cars, some of which were overturned, while others were off the tracks.

“It looks like a kid playing with train cars and throwing them every which way,” resident Dustin Weaver said. “There’s so much destruction down there, it’s unbelievable.”

More rail cars were still on the tracks north of the crash scene.

Several of the derailed cars were missing wheels, which were in a pile south of the main crash area. The track was also torn up in that area.

"I don’t think there’s one car that’s been derailed that’s intact," Weaver said.
The crash shook the neighborhood, causing power outages across the area.

"I thought it was an earthquake or something and it just stopped,” Sonny Hibbar Jr. said. “(I) came outside and we see this over here behind my left shoulder."

Some lost power for a millisecond. Others were without electricity for several hours. All power has since been restored.

A shelter-in-place order was in effect for several hours after the crash. Residents were asked to also turn off A/C units, as officials feared sulfuric acid may have spilled. That was not the case.

Southern Elementary School students were moved to Pendleton County High School because the elementary school is located downwind.

Numerous roads throughout the city were also closed.

No injuries have been reported so far.

CSX and Falmouth officials are working on a plan that protects public safety and minimizes the impact to the community and environment, CSX said.

Officials said the cleanup process will likely take days, but did not specify an exact time frame.

“If it does turn into a long-term situation, we’ll just have to deal with it, and we will help people as much as we can,” Mike Moore, with Falmouth EMA, said.